Routes to ICE membership

There are many different ways to become a professionally qualified member of ICE.

This page contains details of each of the possible routes to becoming an incorporated or chartered civil engineer or engineering technician.

Don't forget, if you've already got a MyICE account, you can visit your 'My membership' page to see personalised membership information tailored the grade of membership you're working to.

  • Academic Assessment

    Learn more about what an Academic Assessment is and what you'll have to do if your qualifications aren't automatically recognised by ICE.

  • Career Appraisal

    Find out more about the ICE Career Appraisal, including what Career Appraisals are, who they’re for and how to apply.

  • Chartered Environmentalist

    This page explains how you can apply for Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) registration through ICE. Find out if you’re eligible, what experience and knowledge you’ll need to show, how you can apply and how much it costs.

  • Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors recognition

    Find out how professionally qualified members of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES) can apply for ICE membership.

  • Fellow reinstatement

    Find out what you need to do to get your Fellow membership reinstated.

  • Fellowship

    ICE Fellowship is the highest grade of membership and provides recognition for those who have made outstanding contributions to civil engineering and society. It shines a light on you as a civil engineer and your achievements as a leader in the profession, wherever you are in the world.

  • Further learning

    If you want to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) but dont have the required academic qualifications , you can still achieve your goal by doing some further learning. 

  • Graduate application information

    This page shows what you need to do before you apply to become a Graduate Member (GMICE) of ICE. Find out what you must tell us about your qualifications, how you can certify your qualifications and how much it costs to apply.

  • Graduate reinstatement

    Find out what you need to do to get your Graduate membership reinstated.

  • ICE Training Schemes

    Find out more about the ICE Training Scheme. It explains what Training Agreements are, how trainees get guidance and support, and how to keep track of the training. It will also help companies find out how companies can start an ICE Training Scheme of their own.

  • Member Assessment

    Member assessment is a combined assessment of your qualifications and experience; aimed at non-members of ICE who are experienced engineers. Learn more about this route and whether or not it's right for you.

  • Member reinstatement

    Find out what you need to do to get your MICE membership reinstated.

  • Mutual recognition

    Find out how you can use your existing professional qualification to gain MICE and Engineering Council registration through our Mutual Recognition agreements.  These are international agreements made between two engineering bodies which provide a streamlined route to membership at the equivalent grade to each other’s members.

  • Professional Review

    This page explains how the Professional Review process works. Find out what you'll have to do for the submission stage and on the day of your Professional Review, where you can sit your review, and how much it costs.

  • Progressive route

    This page explains how ICE members (MICE) and Incorporated members (IEng MICE) can obtain Chartered (CEng) level. Find out how the process works, what you need to show and how much it costs to apply.

  • Recognition of EEA and Swiss qualifications

    The EU Directive on the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications no longer applies in the UK, but you can still apply for the UK protected titles of CEng MICE, IEng MICE or EngTech MICE if you hold an EEA or Swiss professional qualification in the field of civil engineering.

  • Recognition of Engineering Council registration

    Find out how you can become an ICE member if you’re already registered with the Engineering Council as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech). 

  • Reinstating your membership

    Find out what you need to do, depending on your previous grade of membership, and how long it’s been since your membership ended.

  • Student reinstatement

    Find out what you need to do to get your student membership reinstated.

  • Technical Report Route

    This page explains how to become an ICE member (MICE) at Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) level through the Technical Report Route. Find out how the process works, what you need to do and how you’ll be assessed.

  • Technician (EngTech) Professional Review

    Learn more about the Technician Professional Review, its importance in becoming qualified as an Engineering Technician (EngTech) and what you'll need to do.

Not sure if your qualification is accredited?

Your educational qualifications are vital in understanding the grade of membership you're eligible for and the best route to membership. To help you, our course search tool will tell you what your qualification makes you eligible for.

Access the ICE course search tool

eLearning for you

ICE Training provides an increasing number of online training courses. Available to take whenever suits you, our online modules are a great way to help you achieve your professional qualification and development goals.

Explore our eLearning