ICE North East has revealed the shortlist of 11 pioneering projects to be recognised at the annual Robert Stephenson Awards.
The awards are held every year to showcase the outstanding work done by civil engineers from across the region over the past two years. This year's winners will be revealed during a live awards ceremony in Newcastle.
The awards are divided into three categories: projects with a total cost in excess of £5 million compete for the Large Category Award, those between £1 million and £5 million qualify for the Medium Category Award, and those costing less than £1 million enter the Small Category Award.
The shortlisted entries are:
Large Category Award
- A19 Testo’s Junction Improvement Scheme: National Highways, Jacobs, Costain Limited
- New Elvet Bridge Re-articulation and Major Maintenance Scheme: Durham County Council, Jacobs, Balfour Beatty
- Riding Mill Raw Water Pumping Station Upgrade and Refurbishment: Northumbrian Water Ltd, Mott MacDonald Bentley
- Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor Phase 3: Sunderland City Council, Capita, Esh Civils, Aarsleff Ground Engineering Ltd
- Wolsingham STW Growth: Northumbrian Water Ltd, Wood PLC, Tilbury Douglas, Construction Ltd, Stortec, Aquardia, Intelect, Xylem
Medium Category Award
- Lumley WTW - UV Upgrade: Northumbrian Water Group, Mott MacDonald Bentley, Evoqua Water Technologies, Fluid Sealing and Engineering, Intelect, EJ Peak, JHT Fabrications
- Ponteland Flood Alleviation Scheme: Environment Agency, Arup, BAM Nuttall
- Stokesley Flood Alleviation Scheme: Environment Agency, Mott MacDonald, BAM Nuttall
Small Category Award
- Birtley Reed Bed Refurbishment: Northumbrian Water Limited, Mott MacDoland Bentley, The Coal Authority
- Elephant Rock: Hartlepool Borough Council, Seymour Civil Engineering, Classic Masonry
- The Human Burrow: Kielder Water & Forest Park/Northumbria Water Limited, Antoine Bertin, JC Consulting, D.G. Walton, Raskl, Pure Energy Renewables, Webb CDM
In 2021, the Large Category Award was presented to The Catalyst, the Medium Category Award went to Chester-Le-Street Flood Alleviation Scheme and the Small Category Award was presented to Coatham Woods Natural Flood Management Scheme. See all 2021 winners.
For this year's awards ceremony, an in-person event will take place on 8 April 2022 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Newcastle.
Book a table.